Foods that raise good cholesterol
How to Recognize an Eating Disorder
- National Eating Disorders Collaboration
How to become more flexible and increase your fitness levels
- Yamamoto et al. Poor trunk flexibility is associated with arterial stiffening. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009.
- Morton et al. Resistance Training vs. Static Stretching: Effects on Flexibility and Strength. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 2011.
10 portion control tips that work for weight loss
Benefits of healthy eating for teenagers
Which nutrients provide energy?
- Mizuno K, Tanaka M et al. Antifatigue effects of coenzyme Q10 during physical fatigue. Nutrition 2008;
- British Medical Journal”; Iron Supplementation for Unexplained Fatigue in Non-Anaemic Women; Bernard Favrat, M.D. et al. 2003
Will I lose weight if I stop eating meat?
- Impact of Peanuts and Tree Nuts on Body Weight and Healthy Weight Loss in Adults1,2
- Am J Clin Nutr. 2012 Oct;96(4):735-47. Epub 2012 Aug 29.
- Effects of dairy intake on body weight and fat: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials, Chen M, Pan A,
- Int J Obes (Lond). 2008 Oct;32(10):1545-51. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2008.130. Epub 2008 Aug 5.
- Egg breakfast enhances weight loss.Vander Wal JS,
3 Must do exercises for women
- American College of Sports Medicine
Is bacon bad for your health?
- Rohrmann et al. Meat Consumption and mortality- results from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. BMC Medline 2013.
The pros and cons of Glycemic Index
- Brouns et al. Glycemic Index Methodology. Nutrition Research Reviews (2005)
- Livesey et al. Glycemic response and health—a systematic review and meta-analysis: relations between dietary glycemic properties and health outcomes. Am J Clin Nutr January 2008
Are high-protein diets safe?
- Atkins (2013) The Program: Phase 1. Accessed: http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-1/What-You-Can-Eat-in-this-Phase.aspx
- Feskanich et al., Protein Consumption and Bone Fracture in Women. American Journal of Epidemiology. 1995 http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/143/5/472.short
- Medline Plus (2011) Amino Acids. Accessed: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002222.htm
- NHS (2013) Eat less saturated fat. Accessed: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/Eat-less-saturated-fat.aspx
- NHS (2012) Kidney disease, chronic. Accessed: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Kidney-disease-chronic/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Science Daily (2008) Breakdown Of Kidney’s Ability To Clean Its Own Filters Likely Causes Disease. Accessed:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080129125401.htm
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2013) Diet for Kidney Stone Prevention. Accessed: (http://www.kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/kidneystonediet/
Raw food diet – Is it really a better option for your health?
- Steinmetz et al. Vegetables, fruit and Cancer. Cancer Causes and Control. 1991.
- Block et al. Fruit, Vegetables, and cancer prevention: A review of the epidemiological evidence. Nutrition and Cancer 1992.
- Koebnick et al. Long-Term Consumption of a Raw Food Diet Is Associated with Favorable Serum LDL Cholesterol and Triglycerides but Also with Elevated Plasma Homocysteine and Low Serum HDL Cholesterol in Humans. Journal of Nutrition. 2005.
Foods high in omega-3 fatty acids other than fish
- Omega 3 Learning for Health and Medicine Food Database
- Ponnampalam et al. Effect of feeding systems on omega-3 fatty acids, conjugated linoleic acid and trans fatty acids in Australia beef cuts: potential impact on human health. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2006.
Foods that make you feel full for longer
- Magistrelli et al. Effect of Ground Cinnamon on Postprandial Blood Glucose Concentration in Normal-Weight and Obese Adults. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2012.
- Technische Universitaet Muenchen. “Olive oil makes you feel full.” ScienceDaily, 14 Mar. 2013. Web. 18 Mar. 2013.
- Lyly et al. The effect of fibre amount, energy level and viscosity of beverages containing oat fibre supplement on perceived satiety. Food Nutr Res. 2010.
- Vander Wal et al. Short-Term Effect of Eggs on Satiety in Overweight and Obese Subjects. J Am Coll Nutr 2005.
- Mettler et al. Additive postprancial blood glucose-attentuating and satiety-enhancing effect of cinnamon and acetic acid. Nutr Res. 2009.
- Marciani et al. Effect of meal viscosity and nutrients on satiety, intragastric dilution, and emptying assessed by MRI. Neuroregulation and Motility 2001.
Is the Mediterranean diet the best diet for the heart?
- Bulut et al., Red wine ingestion prevents microparticle formation after a single high-fat meal – a crossover study in healthy humans. Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology. 2013. http://journals.lww.com/cardiovascularpharm/Abstract/publishahead/Red_wine_ingestion_prevents_microparticle.99234.aspx
- Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (2010) Leading Causes of Death. Accessed: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm
- Micha et al. Red and Processed Meat Consumption and Risk of Incident Coronary Heart Disease, Stroke, and Diabetes Mellitus. Circulation. 2010. http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/121/21/2271.short
- NHS (2012) Causes of heart disease. Accessed: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Coronary-heart-disease/Pages/Causes.aspx
- Nicolle L, Beirne A (2010) Biochemical Imbalances in Disease. London, Singing Dragon.
- Parker et al. Effect of a High-Protein, High–Monounsaturated Fat Weight Loss Diet on Glycemic Control and Lipid Levels in Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2002. http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/25/3/425.short
- Rivellese et al. Effects of dietary saturated, monounsaturated and n-3 fatty acids on fasting lipoproteins, LDL size and post-prandial lipid metabolism in healthy subjects. Refdoc. 2003. http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=14599299
- Santaella et al. Aftereffects of Exercise and Relaxation on Blood Pressure. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine. 2006.
- Smith et al. Cortisol, Testosterone, and Coronary Heart Disease. Circulation. 2005. http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/112/3/332.short
8 popular nutrition myths debunked
- Corder et al. Oenology: Red wine procyanidins and vascular health. Nature 2006. http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v444/n7119/abs/444566a.html
- Mutungi et al. Dietary Cholesterol from Eggs Increases Plasma HDL Cholesterol in Overweight Men Consuming a Carbohydrate-Restricted Diet. The Journal of Nutrition. 2008. http://jn.nutrition.org/content/138/2/272.short
- Nicolle L, Beirne A (2010) Biochemical Imbalances in Disease. London, Singing Dragon.
- Grassi et al. Blood pressure and cardiovascular risk: What about cocoa and chocolate? Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics. 2010. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0003986110001876
- Gillis and Bar. Food Away from Home, Sugar-Sweetened Drink Consumptions and Juvenile Obesity. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 2003. http://www.jacn.org/content/22/6/539.short
- Simopoulos. Omega-3 Fatty Acids in Inflammation and Autoimmune Diseases. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 2002. http://intl.jacn.org/content/21/6/495.short
- De Oliveira Otto et al. Dietary intake of saturated fat by food source and incident cardiovascular disease: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2012. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/96/2/397.short
Are diet drinks bad for you
- Bellisle & Drewnowski A. Intense sweeteners, energy intake and the control of bodyweight.2007 European Journal of Clinical Nutrition
- Fowler et al. Fueling the obesity epidemic? Artificially sweetened beverage use and long-term weight gain. 2008 Obesity
- Gardener (2011) Soda Consumption and Risk of Vascular Events in the Northern Manhattan Study. Accessed: http://bit.ly/ZiUqVn. 22 March 2013.
- Lenoir et al. Intense Sweetness Surpasses Cocaine Reward. 2007 PLoS ONE
- Mead. Sour Finding on Popular Sweetener: Increased Cancer Incidence Associated with Low-Dose Aspartame Intake. 2006 Environmental Health Perspectives
- Rada et al. Daily bingeing on sugar repeatedly releases dopamine in the accumbens shell. 2005 Neuroscience
- Serkoa R (2013) Hold the diet soda? Sweetened drinks linked to depression, coffee tied to lower risk. Accessed: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2013-01/aaon-htd010313.php, 22 March 2013.
- Swithers et al. A role for sweet taste: calorie predictive relations in energyregulation by rats. 2008 Behavioral Neuroscience
- Schernhammer et al. Consumption of artificial sweetener– and sugar-containing soda and risk of lymphoma and leukemia in men and women. 2012 The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
Why is drinking water good for you
- Pomkin et al. 2010. Water, hydration and health.
Why is fructose bad for you
- Nakagawa T. et al. 2005. A causal role for uric acid in fructose-induced metabolic syndrome
- Kimber L. et al. 2009. Consuming fructose-sweetened, not glucose-sweetened, beverages increases visceral adiposity and lipids and decreases insulin sensitivity in overweight/obese humans
- Kim-Anne Le et al. 2009. Fructose overconsumption causes dyslipidemia and ectopic lipid deposition in healthy subjects with and without a family history of type 2 diabetes
- Thorburn et al. 1989. Fructose-induced in vivo insulin resistance and elevated plasma triglyceride levels in rats.
- Kathleen A. et al. 2013. Effects of Fructose vs Glucose on Regional Cerebral Blood Flow in Brain Regions Involved With Appetite and Reward Pathways
- Shapiro et al. 2008. Fructose-induced leptin resistance exacerbates weight gain in response to subsequent high-fat feeding
10 Nutrition tips for runners
- Berardi et al. Postexercise Muscle Glycogen Recovery Enhanced with a Carbohydrate-Protein Supplement. American College of Sports Medicine. 2006 http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/16775553
- Foskett et al. Carbohydrate Availability and Muscle Energy Metabolism during Intermittent Running. American College of Sports Medicine. 2008 http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Abstract/2008/01000/Carbohydrate_Availability_and_Muscle_Energy.14.aspx
- Murphy et al. Whole Beetroot Consumption Acutely Improves Running. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2012. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212267211019484
- Noakes et al. The danger of an inadequate water intake during prolonged exercise. European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology 1988 http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF00640665?LI=true
How to increase good cholesterol
- Denke et al. Individual Cholesterol Variation in Response to a Margarine- or Butter-Based Diet: A Study in Families. The Journal of the American Medical Association. 2000.
- Jane et al. A Simple Method for Increasing High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Levels: A Pilot Study of Combination Aerobic and Resistance Exercise Training. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. 2012. http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/23166203
- McRae. Vitamin C supplementation lowers serum low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglycerides: a meta-analysis of 13 randomized controlled trials. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine. 2008. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0899346708000281
- NHS. High cholesterol. 20121. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Cholesterol/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Ortega et al. Increased blood cholesterol after a high saturated fat diet is prevented by aerobic exercise training. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism. 2012. http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/apnm-2012-0123?journalCode=apnm#.UTUeszC-2So
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. What Is Cholesterol? 2012. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hbc/
What are the health benefits of pomegranates?
- Aviram M, et al. 2001. Pomegranate juice consumption inhibits serum angiotensin converting enzyme activity and reduces systolic blood pressure. Atherosclerosis 158
- Adhami et al. 2012. Oral infusion of pomegranate fruit extract inhibits prostate carcinogenesis in the TRAMP model.
- Faria et al. 2011. The bioactivity of pomegranate: impact on health and disease.
Best sources of Vitamin D
- Guyton K.et al. Vitamin D and vitamin D analogs as cancer chemopreventive agents. Nutr Rev. 2003
- Zeitz U. et al. Impaired insulin secretory capacity in mice lacking a functional vitamin D receptor. FASEB J. 2003
- Borissova A. et al.The effect of vitamin D3 on insulin secretion and peripheral insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetic patients. Int J Clin Pract. 2003
- Sheng H-W. Sodium, chloride and potassium. In: Stipanuk M, ed. Biochemical and Physiological Aspects of Human Nutrition. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Company; 2000
- Sigmund CD. Regulation of renin expression and blood pressure by vitamin D(3). J Clin Invest. 2002
- Li Y. et al. 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D(3) is a negative endocrine regulator of the renin-angiotensin system. J Clin Invest. 2002
- Wharton B, Bishop N. Rickets. Lancet. 2003
Why is it important to have a balanced diet
- Ruxton CHS et al. (2010). Nutritional and health benefits of consuming eggs. Nutrition & Food Science
- Aeberli et al. 2012. Moderate Amounts of Fructose Consumption Impair Insulin Sensitivity in Healthy Young Men. A randomized controlled trial.
- Pereira et al. 2013. Meat nutritional composition and nutritive role in the human diet.
Best sources of protein for vegetarians
- Messina V, Mangels R, Messina M. The Dietitian’s Guide to Vegetarian Diets, 2nd ed. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, 2004.
- Young VR, Pellett PL. Plant proteins in relation to human protein and amino acid nutrition. Am J Clin Nutr 1994
- Mangels AR, Messina V, Melina V. Position of The American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada: Vegetarian diets. J Am Diet Assoc 2003
Dietary fiber and its importance in a healthy diet
- Ludwig D., et al. Dietary fibre, weight gain and cardiovascular disease risk factors in young adults. JAMA. 1999
- Liu S, et al. Relation between changes in intakes of dietary fiber and grain products and changes in weight and development of obesity among middle aged women. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003
- Howarth NC, Saltzman E, Roberts SB. Dietary fiber and weight regulation. Nutr Rev 2001
- Nancy C. et al. Dietary fiber and weight regulation. Nutrition Reviews, 2009
- Position of the American Dietetic Association: Health implications of dietary fibre. Journal of the American Dietetic Assoc. July 2008;
- Bessesen, D.H. The Role of Carbohydrates in Insulin Resistance. Journal of Nutrition ,2001
Why is dark chocolate healthy?
- Buijsse B, Feskens EJ, Kok FJ, Kromhout D (February 2006). “Cocoa intake, blood pressure, and cardiovascular mortality: the Zutphen Elderly Study”. Arch. Intern. Med. 166(4): 411–7.
- Grassi, Davide, et al. “Cocoa reduces blood pressure and insulin resistance and improves endothelium-dependent vasodilation in hypertensives.”Hypertension 46.2 (2005): 398-405.
- Serafini, M., Crozier, A., Bugianesi, R., Maiani, G., Valtuena, S., and Santis, S.D. (2003). “Nutrition: milk and absorption of dietary flavanols”. Nature 424 (6952): 1013.
- Vinson, Joe A., et al. “Chocolate is a powerful ex vivo and in vivo antioxidant, an antiatherosclerotic agent in an animal model, and a significant contributor to antioxidants in the European and American Diets.” Journal of agricultural and food chemistry 54.21 (2006): 8071-8076.
Healthy packaged food to add to your shopping list
- 1) Willet, W. 2012. Dietary fats and coronary heart disease. Journal of International Medicine (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22583051)
- 2) Stazullo et al. 2009. Salt intake, stroke, and cardiovascular disease: meta-analysis of prospective studies, BMJ (http://www.bmj.com/content/339/bmj.b4567)
- 3) U.S. Department of Agriculture: Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- 4)Food and Drug Administration (FDA)